New Challenge: Summer Grilling
  • Sorry for the delay launching this - it took a bit longer than I anticipated to work out how to collect all the grilling-related recipes in one place, but it is done now and we're ready to grill. I back-dated the start of the challenge to July 1. If you've reviewed any grilling or outdoor cooking recipes since then, you can go back in and tag them with 'grilling' and they'll show up for the challenge.

As it says in the details, we're looking for recipes cooked on the grill and related outdoors cooking methods - so whether you are using a dutch oven on briquettes or the coals of a fire, cooking on the BBQ or roasting a pig on a spit, if you tag your recipe review with 'grilling' you'll be in the challenge.

We're offering a choice from three summer cookbooks as prizes, so check out the details at www.cookbooker.com/challenge and get cooking! You have until August 21st.
  • This is going to be great! Come on, Cookbookers - I cannot wait to see your creative reviews!
  • I agree Queezle Sister this is going to be fun and I'm already enjoying reading the reviews. I enjoyed your review of the Dino BBQ book and after reading the book is worth it for the guacomole recipe alone I'd love to read a review of this recipe. I love guacomole and am hoping to make the pioneer womans grilled corn guac soon.
  • I'm sorry I can't participate in this one as we don't own a barbecue!
  • You don't have to have a BBQ - though it helps! You can grill using the broil setting in your oven too - though if you're in the part of North America currently undergoing the heat wave (not here on the West Coast...), you may not be using your oven very much these days!
  • I can also recommend a grill pan. Ikea has a good (and cheap) one. Just remember to clean it immedeately after use, while its still hot.
  • I like those lodge cast iron pans - I have a frying pan and dutch oven by lodge, and they are well seasoned and clean up nicely.
  • Right - I'd forgotten about grill pans - you'll get that great seared look and flavour with those ridges. I have a couple of lodge frying pans too and they've been great. Cast iron is the best!
  • Oh, so grill pans are okay for this challenge as well? I wasn't sure. I'd be happy if they were as I use mine quite a bit and am not that keen on barbecuing.
  • Thanks for the info on grill pans! I've always wanted one of those.
  • Grilling is the challenge - we don't want to only make it on a barbecue as some people are in apartments or just don't have them, but they can still do grilling recipes just fine. We'll be fairly flexible on this one - I've already said that dutch ovens over coals would be acceptable, and as long as it's summery, relies on the application of heat, and would pass a reasonable person's view of fitting the criteria, we'll accept it. This is all in fun anyway; it's not like it's the Olympic qualifying rounds...
  • What if you do up a recipe where grilling is only a small part of the meal? For example I made a soup tonight that had pretty grilled pineapple rings on it. Or if your grilling up a side of veggies or something. I love grilling, but not being a meat eater, the stuff I do on the grill can rarely be called the main course.
  • As long as it's the major part of a published recipe, either from a cookbook, magazine or website, then you can review it and include it in the challenge. So the grilled pineapple rings won't be a major part of the soup - but if it was grilled corn chowder, for instance, then that would be fine.
  • Cool, thanks for the info, Andrew! I think this will be a good challenge for me to get creative with grilling. And I just got a box of cookbooks in the mail, so I'm going to pour through them for grilling ideas!
  • Challenge winners are finally announced, with random numbers plugged in and gears whirling, the system spit out the following names: louie, Queezle_Sister and Friederike. Congratulations to you three - emails with details are winging towards you today. We will start the next challenge in a few days and I'm thinking about Ina Garten for this one as we've been meaning to do her for some time now.
  • Congrats to louie, QuezzleSister and Friederik. Enjoy your prizes. I sure enjoyed participating and reading all the wonderful grilling reviews. Looking forward to the next challenge I love the Barefoot Contessa books and have all of them except the party one. Look forward to some good cooking and reading more wonderful reviews whatever you choose -- Thanks Andrew!
  • Thanks Andrew and Southern Cooker. We really enjoyed exploring new types of grilled food this summer, and reading about the explorations of others. Our grill is now about work out (a cheap gas grill, intended for 2 yrs use when we bought it 12 years ago!).

I do not have any of the Ina Garten cookbooks, but saw that some were available at Costco. My one constraint is that 12 daughter and I signed up for an eat local challenge (for a month) - but we'll participate as we can, whatever the challenge.

Search Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!